David Nicholson is an experienced writer and photographer and also provides communication solutions and advice
I am passionate about telling stories. As a journalist, I have written for and edited a number of publications, including newsletters, magazines and newspapers. I am an experienced interviewer and have recently worked with cancer patients to write about their stories and also health professionals for in-depth features for Macmillan Cancer Support publications, as well as for media organisations.
I have worked for a number of trade unions and wrote for membership and activist publications. I also covered political and industrial stories for a national newspaper and edited and wrote a London council’s monthly residents’ publication.
I have also worked in some of the most pressured PR areas of the public service, including those that have intense media focus on them, such as the Independent Police Complaints Commission.
My background has given me a wide experience of dealing with stories that become the focus of the world’s media. I can identify a story and have often interviewed for one story, which has then led to several related pieces.
I have extremely good relations and contacts in the public and third sector, particularly in Wales.
I was a founder and steering group member of CommsCymru, which brings together communication professionals across the public sector in Wales to improve skills and promote excellence.
I have worked in public relations for a number of public bodies and trade unions, including Macmillan Cancer Support in Wales the Independent Police Complaints Commission, Bromley Council, UNISON, Prospect and the University and Colleges Union.
- I continue to write opera reviews and report on rugby matches for a newspaper – some of the latest of my published articles are featured here, along with blogs on different subjects that interest me;
- I often take the photographs to illustrate my articles and for use on social media;
- I have kept my digital skills up-to-date and regularly attend professional training courses;
- I am a trained facilitator and have designed and led training sessions for a variety of organisations;
- I am a member of the National Union of Journalists and am an accredited photojournalist with the relevant press card;
- I hold an Institute of Leadership and Management coaching and mentoring qualification and have recently coached members of the communications profession in Wales.
Contact David to discuss what you need: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 07796 170783.